Staying Organized: Tracking Event Expenses with Your Credit Card
Organizing expenses and staying within one’s budget can be quite challenging, and the same is true in event management. Whether it’s a corporate event or a personal one, keeping track of costs can feel overwhelming. Fortunately, using your credit card can prove to be a helpful tool. In this article, we’ll discuss the different types of credit cards, and how these can help monitor finances and aid in budgeting when planning events.
What are credit cards?
A credit card is a type of payment method that enables you to make purchases and pay for them later. Using one is like taking out a loan from the bank. You can repay the amount you owe over time in monthly installments. However, if you lack adequate funds in your bank account to cover those payments, you will be charged interest on top of the original amount you spent on your purchase.
The upsides of using a credit card for event expenses
Credit cards are helpful for event management for several reasons:
- Organizers can easily keep track of all their purchases without having piles of receipts lying around. Credit cards also do away with having to manually input expenses into an accounting software program (which would take forever).
- With credit cards, organizers or event planners can stop worrying about carrying cash, which can become a security risk.
- Credit cards offer the added benefit of building credit history when used responsibly.
- Most credit card companies offer various cashback or rewards programs, allowing you to earn points with each purchase. These points can be redeemed for multiple benefits, including travel or statement credits.
- Many credit card companies also offer online statements, making it easy to categorize expenses, identify areas where you’re overspending, and adjust accordingly.
- Credit cards also offer expense reports, through which you can receive detailed information about your expenses. The bonus is that you can easily share these with your team or colleagues.
- Many credit cards provide protection against fraudulent charges through zero liability policies. This means that if someone steals your card information online (or even in person), they won’t be able to use it without getting caught by security measures built into each network’s system architecture.12Lastly, many credit cards offer purchase protection, which can be particularly helpful for costly event expenses.
What are the different types of credit cards?
These are among the most common types, which come with credit card perks.
- Personal credit cards.
Personal credit cards are payment cards used for individual expenses. They typically come with rewards programs for personal use, such as cashback for dining or travel and benefits like concierge services or purchase protection. The credit limit on personal credit cards is based on an individual’s credit score and income. As such, they may not be as beneficial as business credit cards for high-ticket event expenses.
- Business credit cards
On the other hand, business credit cards offer tailored rewards programs for business expenses, such as office supplies, travel, and even employee rewards. They also have come with a higher credit limit than personal credit cards.
- Rewards programs
Some issuers offer rewards programs that give back points toward things like merchandise purchases and airline miles. These points are earned every time someone uses their card at establishments within the selected networks.
Tips for using credit cards for event planning
Before using your credit card for event planning, remember to use it responsibly. Here are other key things to keep in mind:
1. Choose the right credit card
Assess the event budget, and choose a credit card that offers benefits that meet your needs. For example, if the event requires significant travel, getting a credit card that offers travel rewards makes sense.
2. Set a spending limit
To stay within budget, set a spending limit on your credit card that aligns with your budget.
3. Keep track of your expenses
Ensure that you keep track of all expenses related to the event, including all purchase details, such as the dates and amounts.
4. Pay on time
Making timely payments on your credit card is crucial in preventing debt accumulation while building a credit history.
Credit cards are valuable tools that help you manage your finances and stay organized when planning events. With the correct credit card, you can score rewards and track expenses. By selecting a credit card suited to your needs, setting a spending limit, keeping track of costs, and making timely payments, you can take advantage of the perks of using a credit card while staying within budget. As a result, you get to organize your event expenses. This will enable you to enjoy successful and stress-free events for years to come!
For more business- and tech-savvy tips, visit the blog of Designworks NW LLC toda
Photo Credits in the order as the image appears in this article: